Thursday, August 28, 2014

Hoppin' and Cawin'

The other day, someone in my Crow group (Facebook) referred to crows as hopping.  Crows are rather large birds, and most large birds don't hop.  However, I did read about a magpie hopping, which is a cousin to the crow.  Well the other day, I did see a crow hopping.  It was hopping in a tree among the leaves from branch to branch.

This crow was expressing vocals and I found myself wondering if there was a pattern to its calls.  The crow expressed several series of AH sounds.  Sometimes they came 4 at a time, one right after the other.  Sometimes it was 5 in a series.  One, maybe two times there were 3 in a series.  It seemed that 4 AHs in a series was expressed the most.  But why?  What does 4 AHs mean?  How do 4 AHs differ from 5 AHs?  Why was 4 AHs expressed the most in the time I was observing the bird? I didn't notice anything unusual about the AHs.  No one AH sound was dragged out or was expressed in a harsh manner.  The crow went back and forth in regards to the number of calls in a series.  (Sometimes it would be several instances of 4 calls in a series, then 5, then back to 4 and so on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment