Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Changes

Something's happening, I'm not sure what.  There's something in the air.  Sundays are quiet now.  The crows have stopped most of their extended conversations.  There used to be conversations during the mornings on other days of the week.  There are a few now, but not regularly in the morning and certainly not on Sunday mornings.

I've seen a group of crows at various times, but they are usually silent now, and many times they are on the ground.  There's something in the air.  Things feel different.  Things smell different.  We are only in August, but it sounds like Fall and smells like early Fall.

Back in upstate New York, the crows were not that noisy compared to the crows of Grand Forks, but  they were even more quiet during the fall and winter.  However in Albany, New York after summer, I witnessed an enormous gathering of crows during the evening with lots of talk, although they just appeared to be making noises, instead of having conversations. But maybe that's my ignorance.  Maybe there were conversations going on- more than one, and instead I labeled it as gibberish.  It happened at a bus stop on the SUNY Albany campus. I stood at the bus stop on the campus of SUNY Albany in amazement.  The enormous cloud of birds traveled in a large circle, settling down in trees then getting back up again and flying.  There was this incredible thing going on in air, but no one seemed to notice but me.  I didn't live in Albany, so this was not something I could witness on a regular basis.  During other times of the year, I did not witness extended vocal sessions at SUNY Albany.  In fact, the whole time I lived in upstate New York, I witnessed very few extended conversations.  The most memorable one came from the trees in Schenectady, New York. It was a nice day, probably during the summer.  It was on the Union College campus.

My best friend spoke of the post-summer gathering of crows he saw in Schenectady New York near our home in the early morning.  I myself witness the gathering of crows near our home- a very small number, perhaps less than 10.   In Grand Forks, I've never seen a very large gathering of birds.  Perhaps I've seen at the most, less than 13 birds this summer and only a few birds together post-summer last year.  But this time, I'll be actively looking for them and watching.  We shall see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment