Sunday, June 29, 2014

Yapping on a Sunday Morning

           The crows in Grand Forks, North Dakota are like no crows that I have ever experienced.  Here in Grand Forks, they are much more vocal.  Conversations are common and lengthy.  This morning while walking I witnessed the second of two morning conversations, the first occurring earlier when I was home.  Vocals were short, high-pitched  AHs that sounded like the yappings of chihuahuas.
           Today I heard screams in the sky.   They were hawk screams.  It wasn't being chased or bothered by any crows, it was just screaming while it flew.  This reminds of of the fact that I have wondered why crows don't gang up on the hawks up here and send them packing out of the area like the do in Schenectady, New York.  It's really interesting to see, although I feel bad for the hawks.  In Schenectady, lone crows have taken on hawks and have chased them...still, here in Grand Forks, the hawks may scream while flying, but the crows are definitely the dominant ones!
            

No comments:

Post a Comment