Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Gabbin' Continues

          A little while ago I went to take out the garbage.  I seemed to come across a continuation of the conversation.  There were 2 crows on the ground, but the vocals seemed to be coming from the trees.  Again, there was a crow talking in a high pitched voice and another crow talking in a lower pitched voice.  The second crow seemed to be answering the first one.  
          From what I can tell, crows don't seem to have distinctive voices, except in the case of younger crows and adults.  I do wonder why one was high pictched and the other crow spoke in a lower pitched voice.  I know that differences in volume mean something.  I do believe that differences in pitch and differences in intensity may mean certain things as well. Is there a hiearchy among the crows?  I don't know.  Does the difference in pitch come into play?  I don't know.  Crows are family birds.  I have never read about hiearchy in crows.  But is there a social hiearchy within a family of crows? What does this difference in pitch mean?  It's going to be an interesting summer!

Update on 06/23/14:  I found out that crows do have distinctive voices.  Perhaps the difference in voices had nothing to do with social status.  There is so much that I have to learn!  All I know is that crows are fascinating and their language is complex!

No comments:

Post a Comment