Monday, June 17, 2013

Memories of upstate New York

When I lived in South Dakota, the area I resided in had no crows.  For years...years, I lived my life without them and I missed them terribly.  Many times I found myself thinking about the many experiences I had with them when I lived in upstate New York, as I longed to be near them again.  
          
Back in upstate New York, many times I found myself pulled in their world, charmed by them, annoyed by them, but always fasincated by them.  I remember one sunny day when a hawk in pursuit of one crow ended up in a tree under a darkened sky.  The lone crow had turned on the hawk and became the pursuer.  Suddenly the sky was full of crows and a scream could be heard from the tree the hawk had taken refuge in.
          
During the fall in Albany, New York, I witnessed crows gathered by the hundreds during the evening.  Never had I'd seen so many birds in my life.  They moved in an enormous circle, while no one else even seemed to notice.  In Schenectady, the gatherings were smaller.  I remember that eerie yet fascinating feeling I got, standing by the window, looking up into the grey sky and seeing a group of them roosting in the trees.
          
One day in Schenectady, New York, I just stood there listening to what seemed to be a pretty lengthy conversation that the crows were having.  The conversation seemed to be coming from low trees.  I stood there in awe while the birds seemed to call back and forth to each other.

Here in North Dakota, the crows are very vocal, perhaps even more vocal than in upstate New York.  They seem more demanding, and perhaps a bit more regal.  I look forward to observing roosting behaviors in the fall.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment